Governor Granholm gave her annual State of the State address yesterday (full text) With the state unsure of its available funds, pending the contents of the federal stimulus bill, Granholm's speech lacked many specific budget cut targets. However, here are some items of interest for the state budget:
1. Granholm proposed reducing the number of state departments from 18 to 8, which if enacted would reduce state labor costs
2. Cut all state elected official's salaries by 10%
3. Eliminate funding for the state fair
4. Eliminating the Department of History, Arts, and Libraries
5. Turning over protection of Michigan's wetlands to the federal government
6. Closing three prisons, along with prison reform.